Bihar to hold `bandi darbars`
Patna: Bihar government will hold `bandi darbars` in jails across the state for on-the-spot resolution of complaints by jail inmates related to food, health and other civic amenities.
The `darbars` will be held once in two months by the concerned district magistrates, according to the new jail manual, 2012, notified by the state government recently.
Inspector General of Police, Prison, Anand Kishore said the conduct of such a `darbar` at the collector level is the first of its kind in the country.
The idea behind holding such a darbar was to establish direct connect between the inmates and the district magistrate who is the highest official at the district level.
The district magistrate would also identify old and helpless prisoners and provide them legal assistance for early release. The cases of prisoners afflicted with serious diseases would also be reviewed for early release.
The entire proceedings would be videographed and details would also be entered in the record book.
The IG said a grievance box would be kept in all the prisons in which inmates can drop their written complaints without the fear of inviting the ire of the superintendent of the concerned jail. The key of the box would be with the district magistrate who would open it during his visit for the `bandi darbar`.
The Bihar Cabinet had on Tuesday approved the Jail Manual 2012 which would replace the one in vogue for the last 88 years.
The new manual, suggested by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, was notified on 12.12.2012.
Bihar has a total of 56 jails - 8 central jails, 31 district jails and 17 sub jails. The total capacity of the jails was 33,119 - 32,027 male and 1092 women in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened