Bihar to issue ID cards to migrant workers
Patna: The Bihar government will register the names and personal information of the hundreds and thousands of migrant workers from the state and issue them identity cards, an official said Tuesday.
Vyasji Mishra, the principal secretary in the labour department, said migrant workers would have to get their names registered at the panchayat level.
"The panchayat will be involved in the registration of migrant workers before they leave their village to earn livelihood outside the state," he said.
Calling the move mandatory, he said the move was aimed at the safety and security of the workers.
The government has been concerned over attacks on Bihar migrant workers in Maharashtra, Assam and Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Donald Trump's presidency will 'lead to another 9/11': South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham
- Ex-Australian priest John Joseph Farrell sentenced for child abuse
- Blasphemy case for 'desecrating' Sikh man's turban in Pakistan
- NEET 2016: Government will take final call, says Venkaiah Naidu
- Next Odd-Even phase only after public consultation: Satyendar Jain