Bihar to issue ID cards to migrant workers
Patna: The Bihar government will register the names and personal information of the hundreds and thousands of migrant workers from the state and issue them identity cards, an official said Tuesday.
Vyasji Mishra, the principal secretary in the labour department, said migrant workers would have to get their names registered at the panchayat level.
"The panchayat will be involved in the registration of migrant workers before they leave their village to earn livelihood outside the state," he said.
Calling the move mandatory, he said the move was aimed at the safety and security of the workers.
The government has been concerned over attacks on Bihar migrant workers in Maharashtra, Assam and Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account