`Bihar to move SC in Bathani Tola carnage case`
Patna: The Bihar government will challenge a Patna High Court order setting aside the death sentence to three and life imprisonment to 20 others in the 1996 Bathani Tola carnage case, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday said.
"The government would approach the Supreme court soon challenging the high court`s order acquitting the 23 convicted in the infamous carnage case in Bathani Tola," Kumar told reporters here.
The HC had on Monday set aside the death sentence and life imprisonment.
The Bhojpur court had on May 3 last year convicted and sentenced three persons to death and 20 others to life imprisonment for the carnage in which 21 dalits were killed allegedly by activists of Ranvir Sena, a private `militia` of landlords, on July 11, 1996 at Bathani Tola in Bhojpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam