Bihar to save hills from stone chips mafia
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday said his government was irrevocably committed to protect the hills and illegal mining would not be tolerated.
Replying to a special debate on illegal mining in
Rohtas district in the state assembly, Kumar said the
government would also not issue fresh licence for mining
"We have also decided not to renew old licences",
the Chief Minister said.
Kumar said it was matter of serious concern that
the stone chips mafia had started damaging the hills and so
the state government had decided not to allow using of hills
"The debate in the assembly has given a clear cut
message that no person involved in illegal mining will
enjoy patronage of any political party", he said.
The Chief Minister said, "Hills are the treasure of
the state and illegal mining in the caves of the hills in
Rajgir and Brabar had adverse impact".
Kumar said the hills in Rajgir are 18 crore
The chief minister said the state government had
constitued an inter-departmental committee led by development
commissioner to review the laws related to mining.
The committee would frame laws in accordance
with the guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court, Indian
Mine Bureau (IMB) and central forest and environment ministry.
The inter-departmental committee also have state
mine and geology department principal secretary, forest and
environment secretary, principal forest conservator, water
resources besides director general of mines, tourism
secretary and a GSI official as its members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof