Bihar to save hills from stone chips mafia
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday said his government was irrevocably committed to protect the hills and illegal mining would not be tolerated.
Replying to a special debate on illegal mining in
Rohtas district in the state assembly, Kumar said the
government would also not issue fresh licence for mining
"We have also decided not to renew old licences",
the Chief Minister said.
Kumar said it was matter of serious concern that
the stone chips mafia had started damaging the hills and so
the state government had decided not to allow using of hills
"The debate in the assembly has given a clear cut
message that no person involved in illegal mining will
enjoy patronage of any political party", he said.
The Chief Minister said, "Hills are the treasure of
the state and illegal mining in the caves of the hills in
Rajgir and Brabar had adverse impact".
Kumar said the hills in Rajgir are 18 crore
The chief minister said the state government had
constitued an inter-departmental committee led by development
commissioner to review the laws related to mining.
The committee would frame laws in accordance
with the guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court, Indian
Mine Bureau (IMB) and central forest and environment ministry.
The inter-departmental committee also have state
mine and geology department principal secretary, forest and
environment secretary, principal forest conservator, water
resources besides director general of mines, tourism
secretary and a GSI official as its members.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know