Bihar to seek WB loan
Patna: Bihar government will seek loan from World Bank to provide training to school teachers, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Wednesday and expressed disgust with the Centre for its failure to make arrangements.
The state government has sent a proposal to World Bank for approval of a project for training of school teachers under which the lender could provide a loan for 70 per cent project cost, while 30 per cent will be borne by the state, he said at an international conference on use of the Information Communication and Technology and Open Distance Learning on teacher education.
Kumar said there was shortage of trained teachers in Bihar in comparison to the need of qualified teachers to educate children under Right to Education Act(RTE) by attaining the student and teachers ratio to 30:1.
He said the state government has signed an agreement with Indira Gandhi National Open University in 2006 for training 40,000 teachers, but no headway could be made.
It was not possible for an institution to provide training to all teachers or provide the students:teachers ratio under the RTE and institutions like ICT and ODL could play a major role in training the teachers to enhance their capacities.
Kumar lamented that despite schemes like uniform, mid-day meal and scholarships, the attendence in schools was not more than 50 or 60 per cent at present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP