Bihar to upgrade 2,400 middle schools to high schools
Patna: Bihar has decided to upgrade 2,400 middle schools into high schools to provide thousands of students the opportunity to complete higher education near their homes, officials said Monday.
Sources in the Human Resource Development (HRD) department here said the state government plans to increase the number of high schools in the state this year.
At present, Bihar has 3,000 high schools compared to 80,000 primary schools and 22,000 middle schools. "The government will set up more high schools and upgrade hundreds of middle schools into high schools," an official said.
Bihar Principal Secretary (HRD) Anjani Kumar Singh has directed all district education officials to identify middle schools to upgrade them into high schools.
"Singh has asked that middle schools spread over 1.5 acres of land be identified for upgrading them into high schools," the official added said.
After having improved infrastructure for primary education, now the government`s focus will be secondary education, Singh said.
"The government is aiming to provide a high school within a distance of five kilometres in the state," he said.
In Bihar, there are 85,000 panchayats and about 5,500 panchayats don`t have a high school, forcing students to walk a distance of at least 10 km to attend high school. This has resulted in many children dropping out of school.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan