Bihar: Two killed, dozens injured in police firing
Patna: Two people were killed and over a dozen others injured on Friday when police opened fire to control violent protestors in the district headquarter town of Madhubani in Bihar, police said.
Two youths died on the spot after being hit by bullets and over a dozen were injured during the clash with police.
All the injured have been admitted to hospital.
"People clashed with police after pelting stones and torching some vehicles. Top police officials were rushed from neighbouring districts. Additional police personnel have also been deployed in the town," police spokesperson SK Bharadwaj said.
The situation in Madhubani was tense but under control, according to a Madhubani police official.
The trouble in the town started after a headless body was found 11 days ago. The family members of a missing youth, Prashant Kumar, claimed that the body was his and demanded that it be handed over to them.
Hundreds of people joined them. But when the police refused to give in to their demand, they started pelting stones and torched the collectorate building, SDM office, the police station of Madhubani town and several vehicles parked there.
Police opened fire and lobbed tear gas shells to disperse the protestors, the police official said adding that two protestors were killed and a dozen others injured in the police action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city