Bihar village bans women from using mobiles
Patna: A village panchayat in Bihar has prohibited women from using mobile phones and imposed heavy fines on them if they violated the diktat, an official said Monday.
The self-styled social reformers of Sunderbadi village panchayat in Kochadham block of Kishanganj district Sunday issued the orders banning women from using mobiles, a district official said.
"The villagers have issued an order to impose a fine of Rs 10,000 if a girl is found using a mobile phone, while a married woman will have to pay a fine of Rs 2,000 if found talking on a mobile outside her house," the official said.
A senior police official at the police headquarters here said it was the first such diktat issued by a village panchayat in Bihar. "There is no precedent to such an order issued by a Bihar village panchayat," the official said.
The Sunderbadi panchayat has also ordered women not to bathe on roadside.
"The decision was taken in a meeting attended by panchayat members and village elders," Mohammad Manzoor Alam, who presided over the meeting, told a news agency by telephone Monday.
Alam said the villagers, mostly elders, favoured imposing the ban.
"Mobile phone is the cause of all evils in our society, including increasing love affairs and the incidents of elopement," he claimed.
Kishanganj is a Muslim-dominated district, and among the most backward districts in Bihar with 60 percent of the population living below the poverty line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it