Bihar village celebrates gifting lathi to Gandhiji
Patna: A small village in Bihar`s Munger district is celebrating an unusual festival - a three-day `lathi mahotsav` to commemorate the gifting of a lathi (bamboo stick) to Mahatma Gandhi in 1934.
Residents of Ghorghat village, 150 km from Patna and 25 km from Munger district headquarters, celebrate the festival every year. This year it began today.
Razi Ahmad, Secretary of Gandhi Sangrahalaya here, told PTI that Gandhiji had visited Munger in 1934 after a massive earthquake measuring 8.1 on the Richter scale hit the area.
He learnt that the people of Ghoraghat specialised in making lathis which were supplied to the then British authorities who used them on Indians. Gandhiji urged them to stop making lathis in the interest of the nation, which the villagers agreed to readily.
They also presented a lathi to Gandhiji as a gift, which he kept with him during the freedom movement, Ahmad said.
Centenarian Bodhan Paswan, who was among those who had presented the lathi to Gandhiji, will be present during the festival this year, Mithilesh Mandal, General Secretary, Ghorghat Lathi Samaroh, said over phone.
Paswan (103) is the only surviving member of the team that had gifted lathi to the Father of the Nation.
Bihar Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh inaugurated the mahotsav.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case