Bihar village in gloom as Anna supporter dies
Patna: A pall of gloom descended on Bihar`s Sarfuddinpur village Monday after news of the death of its resident Dinesh Yadav, who set himself ablaze last week in New Delhi in support of Anna Hazare`s campaign.
Hundreds of people flocked to Yadav`s village to mourn his death.
Yadav`s wife Malmatiya Devi and his mother, Maya Devi, have been sobbing inside their mud and thatch house ever since news of the death.
A close relative of Yadav said that he was the sole bread winner and Malmatiya Devi and her five children will face livelihood problems. "It is going to be difficult for them," he said.
"Dinesh sacrificed his life to fight against corruption. No one will forget it," villager Ashok Yadav said.
Another villager, Mantosh Kumar, said, "We have lost a real hero for a cause."
Kumar told reporters phone that Yadav had become the talking point in Sarfuddinpur, 45 km from Patna, ever since he set fire to himself. "Dinesh has become a household name not only in the village but in Patna and New Delhi also. We were hoping he would recover," he said.
Yadav shouted pro-Anna Hazare slogans and poured petrol on himself and set himself alight near Rajghat Aug 23.
He sustained 70-80 percent burn injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed