`Bihar witnessing silent revolution through Self Help Groups`
Patna: Claiming Bihar is witnessing a silent revolution at the grassroots through Self Help Groups (SHGs), Rural Development Minister Nitish Mishra on Sunday said Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has promised to further boost up SHGs.
In addition to earlier 55 blocks, SHG formation was initiated in an additional 116 ones across 21 districts of the state in 2012-13, he told PTI.
He said SHG formation will commence in remaining 363 blocks in the state during 2013-14 fiscal.
Mishra, who was reeling out latest statistics, said 87512 SHGs have been promoted while number of SHGs having credit linked with banks are 41284.
A total of 4,26,972 households have been covered under food security intervention while number of SHG members enrolled under `Janshree Bima yojna is 1,41,606, the minister said.
Buoyed by the success of the SHGs, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar emphasised on expanding the base of such women groups for economic empowerment.
Kumar announced that the state would form 10 lakh SHGs in the next five years. Each group will have 15 members.
After achieving this target, a total of 1.25 crore households and 6 crore people would be linked with the SHGs which would form a formidable 55 to 60 per cent of the state population, the CM said yesterday.
The CM stressed on expanding the scope of SHGs and exhorted "didis" of such groups to take up the responsibility of making people aware of importance of sanitation, education for girls to curtail rapid population growth and health programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city