`Bihar witnessing silent revolution through Self Help Groups`
Patna: Claiming Bihar is witnessing a silent revolution at the grassroots through Self Help Groups (SHGs), Rural Development Minister Nitish Mishra on Sunday said Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has promised to further boost up SHGs.
In addition to earlier 55 blocks, SHG formation was initiated in an additional 116 ones across 21 districts of the state in 2012-13, he told PTI.
He said SHG formation will commence in remaining 363 blocks in the state during 2013-14 fiscal.
Mishra, who was reeling out latest statistics, said 87512 SHGs have been promoted while number of SHGs having credit linked with banks are 41284.
A total of 4,26,972 households have been covered under food security intervention while number of SHG members enrolled under `Janshree Bima yojna is 1,41,606, the minister said.
Buoyed by the success of the SHGs, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar emphasised on expanding the base of such women groups for economic empowerment.
Kumar announced that the state would form 10 lakh SHGs in the next five years. Each group will have 15 members.
After achieving this target, a total of 1.25 crore households and 6 crore people would be linked with the SHGs which would form a formidable 55 to 60 per cent of the state population, the CM said yesterday.
The CM stressed on expanding the scope of SHGs and exhorted "didis" of such groups to take up the responsibility of making people aware of importance of sanitation, education for girls to curtail rapid population growth and health programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town