Bihar`s conjoined twins happy over SC ruling
Patna: Seventeen-year-old conjoined twins Saba and Farah welcomed the Supreme Court ruling on Wednesday that did away with the option of a surgery to separate them and directed the state government to grant the family Rs.5,000 per month.
"We are very happy and excited, and thank the Supreme Court for its decision to rule out the surgical possibility to separate us. The court`s verdict will provide us time to live together, like we have since birth," Saba, lying on a bed with Farah, at their Samanpur residence in the city, said.
Farah said: "We are grateful, from the core of our heart. We are also thankful to Allah for it," she said.
The court has directed the state government to ensure that the twins get the best medical attention, and said the Patna district civil surgeon must ensure regular check-ups for the conjoined sisters.
The father of the girls, Shakeel Ahmad, said: "The court order has given us fresh hope." Ahmad, who runs a small roadside eatery here, said only the government could help the family.
Ahmad recalled that a few years ago, one of the rulers of a Gulf country had promised to the bear the costs of surgically separating the two sisters. "After initial consultations at Delhi`s Apollo Hospital, everything was forgotten," he said.
American neurosurgeon Benjamin Carson had travelled to India to study the twins. He had agreed to perform the risky operation, with assistance from Indian doctors.
Carson had warned that surgery would be risky, and only one the girls might survive. Doctors have also said that the option of surgical separation might mean a series of surgeries, since one operation might not suffice.
Although the twins have distinct brains and are neurologically and psychologically normal, only one of them has kidneys.
The apex court Monday directed a panel of doctors, including those from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, to give their opinion on the scope of surgery.
The court direction came on a public interest litigation by Aarushi Dhasmana, a law student at the Pune-based Symbiosis Law School.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation