Bihar`s high population growth rate matter of concern
Patna: Bihar`s high population growth rate is a matter of concern and if it continues in this pace it will double by 2051 and affect economic growth, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Saturday.
"If the (high) population growth rate continues in the years to come, our population will double by 2051 and put insurmountable pressure on infrastructure, resources and land, in particular, that cannot be stretched to accommodate the growing number of people," Kumar said at a paediatricians` conference here.
"We will be hard pressed to deal with food and nutrition security of the people if the population growth rate does not stabilise," he said.
"The 25.05 percent decadal population growth in Bihar is a serious matter of concern as impact of economic growth rate is not positively reflected on the people, particular on human development indices like per capita income," he said.
Stating that the population growth rate was directly linked to high fertility rate of women (3.7 per cent), he called for an awareness campaign and touched on government measures in this direction.
Taking a cue from the Council on population which stated that lack of education of women and girls was the main cause of high population growth rate, Kumar said his government has decided to set up one high school in each gram panchayat for secondary education of the children.
Kumar said his government has successfully contained polio through vaccination over the past few years, a feat which has been lauded by Microsoft chairman Bill Gates and even in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror