Bihar`s Super 30 has done it again
Patna: Bihar`s Super 30 has done it again. In another big success, 27 of the 30 candidates from the coaching centre have cracked the highly competitive Indian Institute of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) this year, its director said.
"Their hard work paid off and Super 30 has again proved that talent requires nothing but right encouragement and opportunity to blossom." Anand Kumar, founder-director of the free coaching centre for economically poor students, said after the results of JEE-Advance for admission into various IITs were announced Friday.
The successful candidates from Super 30 include the wards of a labourer, landless farmer, mechanic and a priest. "All of them have managed to successfully chase their IIT-JEE dreams at Super 30 with their commitment and hard work," Anand Kumar said.
Last year, too, 27 students of the institute had cleared the exam.
Super 30, which helps economically backward students crack the IIT-JEE, was selected by Time magazine in its `The Best of Asia 2010` list.
Students from poor families have to pass a competitive test to get into Super 30 and then commit themselves to a year of 16 hours a day study routine. Coaching, food and accommodation are free for the students.
Anand Kumar, who was last year invited to Japan to deliver lectures on his model of teaching, said the institute is supported by income generated from his Ramanujam School of Mathematics, which has students who can afford to pay fees.
In 2003, the first year of the institute, 18 students made it to IITs. In 2008, for the first time, all 30 students of the coaching centre cracked the exam -- a feat which was repeated in 2009 and 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened