Bill Gates and Melinda visit village in Bihar
Patna: Software billionaire Bill Gates and his wife Melinda who co-chair their international philanthropic Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation arrived here on a day-long visit Wednesday to meet Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, policy makers, NGO partners and community leaders.
Soon after arrival, Bill and Melinda visited Simraha and Jamsaut villages in the Danapur sub-division near Patna.
"Along with their delegation, they met local villagers and interacted with them to understand their problems," a district official who accompanied them said.
According to official sources, the couple during their visit here will review the ongoing projects funded by their foundation in Bihar.
They will meet community health workers and state officials to see first-hand the launch of a five-year, $80 million grant made in partnership with the state government.
"They will meet Nitish Kumar Wednesday evening. Before that they will hold meetings with Patna district magistrate, top government officials, NGO partners and community leaders," an official said.
Last May, Bill and Melinda visited poverty-stricken Gularia village in Khagaria and Tertariya village in Banka district of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Union Cabinet clears Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 – Know the new rules
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar; tremors felt in northeast, Kolkata, Patna, Guwahati
- Did OP Jaisha lie about official apathy in Rio? Here is her co-runner's version
- Can bear body odour, not bad breath: Ranveer Singh
- Tamil actor Vijay's father undergoes surgery after fall