Bill Gates and Melinda visit village in Bihar
Patna: Software billionaire Bill Gates and his wife Melinda who co-chair their international philanthropic Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation arrived here on a day-long visit Wednesday to meet Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, policy makers, NGO partners and community leaders.
Soon after arrival, Bill and Melinda visited Simraha and Jamsaut villages in the Danapur sub-division near Patna.
"Along with their delegation, they met local villagers and interacted with them to understand their problems," a district official who accompanied them said.
According to official sources, the couple during their visit here will review the ongoing projects funded by their foundation in Bihar.
They will meet community health workers and state officials to see first-hand the launch of a five-year, $80 million grant made in partnership with the state government.
"They will meet Nitish Kumar Wednesday evening. Before that they will hold meetings with Patna district magistrate, top government officials, NGO partners and community leaders," an official said.
Last May, Bill and Melinda visited poverty-stricken Gularia village in Khagaria and Tertariya village in Banka district of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'