Bill Gates and Melinda visit village in Bihar
Patna: Software billionaire Bill Gates and his wife Melinda who co-chair their international philanthropic Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation arrived here on a day-long visit Wednesday to meet Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, policy makers, NGO partners and community leaders.
Soon after arrival, Bill and Melinda visited Simraha and Jamsaut villages in the Danapur sub-division near Patna.
"Along with their delegation, they met local villagers and interacted with them to understand their problems," a district official who accompanied them said.
According to official sources, the couple during their visit here will review the ongoing projects funded by their foundation in Bihar.
They will meet community health workers and state officials to see first-hand the launch of a five-year, $80 million grant made in partnership with the state government.
"They will meet Nitish Kumar Wednesday evening. Before that they will hold meetings with Patna district magistrate, top government officials, NGO partners and community leaders," an official said.
Last May, Bill and Melinda visited poverty-stricken Gularia village in Khagaria and Tertariya village in Banka district of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter