BJP accuses UPA govt of playing vote bank politics over national security
Bodhgaya: Suspecting the role of home grown sleeper modules of terror groups in Mahabodhi temple blasts, BJP on Tuesday lashed out at the UPA government for "totally failing" in tackling terror and accused it of linking the nation`s security with "vote bank politics".
BJP president Rajnath Singh, who visited Bodhgaya along with senior leaders Arun Jaitley and Ravishankar Prasad, demanded a thorough probe into the incident and urged the Centre to show "firm will" to fight the menace of terror.
Both Singh and Jaitley also alluded to the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, which has led to some sort of a CBI-versus IB face off and triggered speculation that probe findings in the "fake encounter" case could reach to Narendra Modi`s door.
"UPA government has linked the security of the nation to the politics of vote bank. A lack of concern by UPA government is being seen over the need for security measures. They are showing (people belonging to) organizations like LeT as martyrs and exposing the security apparatus of the country," Jaitley said.
Maintaining that there should be full coordination between the intelligence and the investigating agencies in the country, the BJP President rued "today the IB and CBI are at loggerheads."
"This happened because the Congress-led central government has been misusing the central agencies. There should be maximum possible coordination between agencies like the CBI and IB to fight terrorism," he said.
He said the Congress-led UPA government should take action to free the country from terrorism. UPA government has totally failed in this job, he charged.
"We cannot deny that this kind of incident would have been carried out by the sleeper modules, which are in India, at the behest of the international terror groups. The matter should be thoroughly probed," Singh said.
Though Singh and Jaitley refrained from attacking Bihar government over the issue, they demanded that facts including whether specific intelligence inputs were given to the state or not should be brought in public domain.
Noting that it is not within the capacity of any one state to fight the challenge of terrorism or Maoist menace and the central government comes in the picture here, Singh said, "May be specific intelligence was not given".
He was asked whether he holds the Nitish government responsible for the incident.
However, "If the input was given, both Centre and state should be have jointly ensured the security of Buddhist shrines in the country."
Jaitley said whenever such an incident happens, it does reflect the failure of the establishment and hence "all facts should come in public domain. Who is responsible for it. Whether specific intelligence inputs were given or not."
To a question whether Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and its vice president Rahul Gandhi should also visit the temple town after the incident, Jaitley said that it was for them to take a call.
"I don`t think there is a competition in visiting but it should be a competition in action," he said. Senior BJP leader from Bihar Nand Kishore Yadav also accompanied them.
The BJP president, however, refused to comment on Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh`s remarks that blasts at Bodhgaya occurred a day after Modi addressed party workers in Bihar and wondering whether there was a connect.
Noting that his party does not want to engage in any politics on the issue, Singh said, "BJP wishes a comprehensive plan should be there so that we can face all kinds of terror attacks, be it biological, chemical and cyber terror attack".
He said the BJP has always assured the UPA government of its support on the issues like terrorism as "there is no difference on fighting terrorism and Maoist menace".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'