BJP bandh in Bihar evokes mixed response
Bagaha: The BJP-sponsored Bagaha bandh in protest against police firing on tribals that claimed six lives evoked mixed response on Wednesday.
While government offices, schools and banks remained open, markets were shut in the day-long bandh. Vehicular traffic was thin, official reports said.
Superintendent of Police Sunil Kumar said the bandh was peaceful and no untoward incident was reported from anywhere.
Senior BJP leader and former deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi visited Bagha and met the victims` families. He also paid a visit to those injured in Monday`s firing and are now in hospital at Bettiah.
Condemning the `brutal and unprovoked` police firing, Modi hit out at Chief Minister Nitish Kumar saying "The CM is busy mustering majority and poaching legislators of other parties and has no time for administration".
"Governance has become a casualty in Bihar after parting of company with BJP," Modi told a news agency.
"Police fired more than 50 rounds though there was no evidence of pre-firing violence ... This is the biggest firing incident under Nitish Kumar government," he said, adding policemen responsible for firing on `innocent` tribals should be booked under section 302 (murder) of IPC.
BJP, he said, supports the tribals` demand of Rs 10 lakh compensation to the family of each victim and government job to one member.
Bettiah BJP MP Sanjay Jaiswal, BJP leader Chandramohan Rai and three MLAs, including independent legislator Dilip Verma who had voted against the trust vote of Nitish Kumar, acompanied Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested