BJP minister calls for prohibition on alcohol in Bihar
Patna: Bihar Health Minister Ashwini Kumar Chaube on Saturday called for imposition of prohibition on alcohol in the state and urged women to spearhead a movement in this regard.
"There is a need for imposition of prohibition in Bihar, as consumption of liquor has been the main cause of atrocities and violence against women," he said at a workshop on women empowerment here.
Liquor consumption disrupts families and the society in general, Chaube said, adding that if the government was serious about preventing atrocities on women and establishing peace in the society, then it must consider a ban on sale and consumption of liquor in the state.
The Health Minister also called upon women to spearhead the movement and put pressure on the state government to impose the prohibition.
However, Chaube said that the demand for imposition of prohibition was his personal opinion and added that the state government has been doing its best to control the number of licenced liquor shops.
Opposition parties have attacked the NDA government for its liberal stand on excise business and treating it as a major source of revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India