BJP minister calls for prohibition on alcohol in Bihar
Patna: Bihar Health Minister Ashwini Kumar Chaube on Saturday called for imposition of prohibition on alcohol in the state and urged women to spearhead a movement in this regard.
"There is a need for imposition of prohibition in Bihar, as consumption of liquor has been the main cause of atrocities and violence against women," he said at a workshop on women empowerment here.
Liquor consumption disrupts families and the society in general, Chaube said, adding that if the government was serious about preventing atrocities on women and establishing peace in the society, then it must consider a ban on sale and consumption of liquor in the state.
The Health Minister also called upon women to spearhead the movement and put pressure on the state government to impose the prohibition.
However, Chaube said that the demand for imposition of prohibition was his personal opinion and added that the state government has been doing its best to control the number of licenced liquor shops.
Opposition parties have attacked the NDA government for its liberal stand on excise business and treating it as a major source of revenue.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm