BJP minister calls for prohibition on alcohol in Bihar
Patna: Bihar Health Minister Ashwini Kumar Chaube on Saturday called for imposition of prohibition on alcohol in the state and urged women to spearhead a movement in this regard.
"There is a need for imposition of prohibition in Bihar, as consumption of liquor has been the main cause of atrocities and violence against women," he said at a workshop on women empowerment here.
Liquor consumption disrupts families and the society in general, Chaube said, adding that if the government was serious about preventing atrocities on women and establishing peace in the society, then it must consider a ban on sale and consumption of liquor in the state.
The Health Minister also called upon women to spearhead the movement and put pressure on the state government to impose the prohibition.
However, Chaube said that the demand for imposition of prohibition was his personal opinion and added that the state government has been doing its best to control the number of licenced liquor shops.
Opposition parties have attacked the NDA government for its liberal stand on excise business and treating it as a major source of revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter