BJP minister seeks RSS support against Bihar CM
Patna: Apparently left to wage a lonely furrow on behalf of the party, embattled BJP leader Giriraj Singh has urged RSS to lend support to him on the raging debate over Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s push for a secular person to be projected as the NDA`s prime ministerial candidate.
Singh, the state Animal Husbandry and Fisheries Minister, had met RSS`s regional pracharak Swant Kumar and the state pracharak Anil Thakur at their office on Friday and apprised them about delicate political situation in the state following a war of words between the two parties over the CM`s `secular` barb at BJP and Narendra Modi.
He also urged the RSS leadership to rally behind him and defend the BJP and Sangh Parivar`s ideology.
Sources said the RSS leadership has convened a meeting with the top state BJP leaders on Saturday to discuss the political situation arising out of the strained ties between the two longstanding NDA allies in the past one week.
In another development, a senior BJP leader and Road Construction Minister Nand Kishore Yadav met Singh at his residence on Friday and advised him to adopt a restrained approach in his barbs against the CM and the JD(U), the sources said.
Singh has been the only state BJP leader publicly attacked Nitish over his `secular PM` remarks and questioned his secular credentials.
He had deliberately stayed away from a recent cabinet meeting, apparently, to protest against Kumar`s indirect barb at his Gujarat counterpart.
The minister has also publicly defended Modi as a secular leader and dared the Chief Minister to sack him if he disapproved of his views.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka