BJP questions JD(U) protest over party`s internal matter
Patna: Amid indications that a split in NDA is likely, top Bihar BJP leaders held an emergency meeting here on Thursday and questioned the rationality of its ally Janata Dal(U)`s `hue and cry` over its decision to make Narendra Modi the party`s Lok Sabha campaign committee chief.
"Can we choose JD(U) president or its other office bearers? ...
Likewise, no other party has any right to dictate us who should be given what post within the party," state party president Mangal Pandey told reporters here after the two-hour meeting.
"Till June 9, JD(U) state chief Bashist Narayan Singh and other leaders were saying the appointment of Narendra Modi is an internal matter of BJP ... What happened to them in the last two-three days that they are making such hue and cry?" he said.
"BJP did nothing against the coalition dharma during this period. Then, why are JD(U) leaders talking like this and straining relationship?" he said.
Later, BJP national vice-president C P Thakur told PTI that "there is no question of changing the decision (on the elevation of Narendra Modi)."
"This ultimatum is not acceptable to us," Thakur said referring to reports in a section of the press that JD(U) is insisting on revisiting the selection of Modi as campaign committee chief and firm confirmation that he will not be made the prime ministerial candidate to end the crisis.
The meeting was attended by Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, BJP national vice-president C P Thakur, all BJP ministers and state party office bearers.
Sushil K Modi has meanwhile stopped going to the ministry and cancelled all his official engagements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players