BJP renominates Modi for Bihar LC
New Delhi: The Central Election Committee of the Bharatiya Janata Party met here on Tuesday and finalised four names, including that of Bihar deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi, for the ensuing biennial elections to the state Legislative Council.
Among those who attended the party`s CEC meeting included BJP president Nitin Gadkari, chairman of BJP Parliamentary Party L K Advani, Leader of Opposition (Lok Sabha) Sushma Swaraj and Leader of Opposition (Rajya Sabha) Arun Jaitley besides other Committee members.
Besides Modi, who was also elected as an MLC earlier, the other names finalised by the party include those of Mangal Pandey, Lal Babu Prasad and Satyendra Kushwah.
The terms of members of State Legislative Councils of Bihar expire on May 6 and the Election Commission has already started the process for filing of nominations after the issue of notification in this regard on April 9.
The last date of filing nominations for the biennial elections for Bihar Legislative Council is April 16 and after scrutiny the next day, the EC has fixed April 19 as the last date for withdrawal of candidatures.
While polling would be held between 9 am to 4 pm on April 26, counting would start at 5 pm the same day and the whole election process has to be completed by April 30.
Bihar has 11 members elected to its state Legislative Council by the members of State Legislative Assemblies (by MLAs).
Among those MLCs from Bihar who are retiring on May 6 are Uday Narayan Rai, Chandan Bagchi, Tarakant Jha, Narendra Singh, Upendra Prasad, Nitish Kumar, Baleshwar Singh Bharti, Bhim Singh, Ramashraya Prasad Singh, Sushil Kumar Modi and Sanjay Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America