BJP to collect 250 gram iron from Bihar farmers for Patel statue
Patna: The state unit of BJP has set a target of collecting 250 gm of used iron from farmers in each of the 8500 panchayats in Bihar for the proposed `Statue of Unity" in memory of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel in Gujarat, a dream project of party campaign committee chief Narendra Modi.
The grassroot units have been told to collect iron tools such as sickles, hoes and hedge clippers from farmers for the purpose, state party General Secretary Suraj Nandan Mehta told.
"The small pieces of iron have to be collected essentially from farmers because Sardar Patel was considered to be a great leader of farmers hence, his statue should be build from the iron contributed by them", he said.
The collected iron tools would be handed over to the block and finally to district units for transportation to Gujarat for erection of the giant size statue of the "Iron man", the Bihar BJP General Secretary said.
Former Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi had announced the plan on July 25 at the party`s `Viswashghat (betrayal) rally` at Biharsharif, headquarters of Nalanda district.
Mehta said the exercise to collect iron objects for sending it to Gujarat would begin after party`s "Hunkar rally" on October 27 which will be addressed by Narendra Modi here.
Gujarat plans to erect the 182 metre statue, the world`s tallest one, at Sadhu Bet, an island near the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'