BJP to collect 250 gram iron from Bihar farmers for Patel statue
Patna: The state unit of BJP has set a target of collecting 250 gm of used iron from farmers in each of the 8500 panchayats in Bihar for the proposed `Statue of Unity" in memory of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel in Gujarat, a dream project of party campaign committee chief Narendra Modi.
The grassroot units have been told to collect iron tools such as sickles, hoes and hedge clippers from farmers for the purpose, state party General Secretary Suraj Nandan Mehta told.
"The small pieces of iron have to be collected essentially from farmers because Sardar Patel was considered to be a great leader of farmers hence, his statue should be build from the iron contributed by them", he said.
The collected iron tools would be handed over to the block and finally to district units for transportation to Gujarat for erection of the giant size statue of the "Iron man", the Bihar BJP General Secretary said.
Former Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi had announced the plan on July 25 at the party`s `Viswashghat (betrayal) rally` at Biharsharif, headquarters of Nalanda district.
Mehta said the exercise to collect iron objects for sending it to Gujarat would begin after party`s "Hunkar rally" on October 27 which will be addressed by Narendra Modi here.
Gujarat plans to erect the 182 metre statue, the world`s tallest one, at Sadhu Bet, an island near the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what