BJP to contest 9 seats in Bihar bypolls, leaves one for LJP
Patna: The BJP-led NDA today announced seat-sharing for ten Assembly bye-elections in Bihar where the party will contest nine seats, leaving one for its ally LJP.
BJP has left Parbatta Assembly seat in Khagaria district for Ramvilas Paswan`s party and announced its candidates for nine seats which would go to the polls on August 21.
Rashtriya Lok Samata Party of Union Minister Upendra Kushwaha, an ally of the BJP, drew a blank. JD(U), RJD and Congress yesterday officially announced their alliance and seat-sharing arrangements as part of which JD(U) and RJD would contest four seats each while Congress got two seats.
According to the list for Bihar made available by the party office here, Rashmi Verma will contest from Narkatiaganj, Rampreet Paswan (Rajnagar, SC), Ramnivas Prasad (Jale), Kanhaiya Singh (Chapra), Avdhesh Kumar (Hajipur), Rajesh Singh (Mohiuddinnagar), Nabhay Choudhary (Bhagalpur), Ramnarayan Mandal (Banka) and Niranjan Ram (Mohania, SC).
BJP scored an ace against rival JD(U) by giving ticket to Rashmi Verma, kin of the country`s first President Dr Rajendra Prasad, from Narkatiaganj in West Champaran district.
Verma had joined the JD(U) a month ago hoping to contest on a party ticket, but the seat went to Congress. Meanwhile, senior BJP leader and former Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, who returned to Patna today from Delhi, dismissed the JD(U)-RJD-Congress alliance.
"Whosoever will ride on the boat of Lalu Prasad is sure to sink," Sushil Modi told PTI criticising Nitish Kumar. "The three had a tacit understanding in the recent Lok Sabha elections too and were thoroughly rejected by the people... They will meet same fate again in the bye-election," he added.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Ancient Hindu temple reopens after 27 years in Srinagar, Kashmiri Pandits jubilant
- AgustaWestland yet to return entire down payment made by India for VVIP choppers: Report
- This is how Priyanka Chopra spends her day off from 'Baywatch' sets! Check out in pics
- Heat wave in India: Useful tips and safety guidelines!
- Watch: Beautiful time-lapse video of a night flight from India to China!