BJP to support independent candidates in RS bypoll today
Patna: In a boost to the JD(U) dissident group, the BJP on Wednesday decided that its MLAs would vote in favour of the independent candidates in today`s by-poll in Bihar to fill up two Rajya Sabha seats, a senior party leader said.
"We have decided to vote in favour of the two independent candidates - Anil Sharma and Sabir Ali - in the Rajya Sabha by-poll," former deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi told PTI.
The decision to vote for the independent candidates was taken at the BJP legislature party meeting held this evening, he said. BJP has 84 members in the Legislative Assembly.
The former deputy chief minister came down heavily on the JD(U) and RJD for entering into an `unholy alliance` to ensure victory of the two official candidates - Pawan Kumar Verma and Gulam Rasool Baliyawi - in the Rajya Sabha by-poll and said that the people of Bihar had not given the two parties mandate to rule together.
"It`s a betrayal of mandate in the 2010 Assembly polls in which the people had voted for the JD(U) and BJP to together rule Bihar and the RJD to sit in opposition," Modi said.
The people of Bihar will definitely be happy with the turn of political events of late in Bihar wherein JD(U)and RJD have come together to rule Bihar in utter disrespect to their mandate, the senior BJP leader said.
The electorate will teach these two parties a lesson in the next Assembly polls for entering into an `unholy` and `opportunistic` alliance to seek victory of the ruling party`s official candidates in the Rajya Sabha by-poll, but to also ensure survival of the fragile Jitan Ram Manjhi government.
The BJP`s decision to vote for the two independent candidates has thrown wide open the outcome of the Rajya Sabha by-poll today with the numbers of the rival camps appearing to be closely matched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand