Bodh Gaya blasts: Mahabodhi Temple reopens for public
Zee Media Bureau
Gaya: A day after Bodh Gaya was rocked by series of explosions leaving two monks injured, the Mahabodhi Temple was opened for public on Monday with thousands of people standing in queue.
"The visitors are allowed to enter the temple after thorough search by Bihar police and temple management committee security staff," Arvind Singh, member of Bodh Gaya Temple Management Committee (BTMC), said.
Thousands of people thronged to the temple immediately after the gate was open at 6 pm, he said.
A special prayer was held at the Mahabodhi Temple today after which the temple was reopened for the public. Buddhist monks from 50 countries held the prayer inside Bodh Gaya temple for return of peace.
Buddhist monks from Sri Lanka, Thailand, Myanmar and other countries participated in the one-hour prayer this evening, Arvind Singh, member of Bodh Gaya Temple Management Committee (BTMC) said.
Head of monasteries of different countries also attended the prayer.
Bodh Gaya has Buddhist monasteries of 50 countries.
A series of blasts had occurred at Bodh Gaya early yesterday morning. Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said today that as many as 13 bombs were planted inside the temple complex of which ten had has exploded.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had rushed to the spot yesterday on hearing the news. He had asked for CISF security for the temple complex.
NIA team also reached the temple city yesterday and has began probe in the blasts.
Meanwhile, a person, identified as Binod Kumar of Barachatti in Gaya district has been detained today for interrogation in connection with the serial blasts.
Bihar Director General of Police Abhyanand said Kumar said that the man has been detained on the basis of a voter I card in his name which was found during search inside the temple after the explosions.
He told newsmen that lab tests have so far confirmed the presence of ammonium nitre in the crude low intensity bomb used in the blasts but there were no trace of TNT or other explosive material.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre