Bodhi sapling planted at Nitish`s residence
Patna: As part of the `Green Bihar` campaign, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has planted a sapling of the holy Bodhi tree at his official residence here.
Kumar got the sapling from Bodh Gaya and planted it at 1 Anne Marg.
Forest Research Institute, Dehradun, which has been given the task to protect the Bodhi tree at Bodh Gaya, is regularly consulted for care of the sapling at the Chief Minister`s residence. Legend goes that Lord Buddha attained enlightenment under this tree.
Plantation of the sapling is part of Kumar`s initiative to increase greenery in the state which at present has only 9.79 percent area under green covers.
"Harit Bihar abhiyan (campaign) is aimed at increasing forest and green areas in Bihar which is facing dwindling tree population after Jharkhand was carved out of the state," Kumar told a news agency.
The JD-U`s rule of planting saplings to become member of the party is also yielding good results, he said.
"A total of 11.65 lakh saplings have been planted under the scheme so far," he said, adding his government has made a provision to maintain a record of these saplings through computer entry to track their growth.
"More than nine lakh computer entries with details like name of planter, ID number of each of the tree with photograph have been done so far," he said.
"We want to send a strong message that JD(U) is sensitive towards expanding green cover in the state and work for protection of environment," Kumar said.
The government targets to plant 50 lakh saplings in two years, Principal Secretary, Forest, Deepak Kumar Singh said.
He said Bihar had a forest cover of 30 percent before its bifurcation in November, 2000.
But, majority of this went to Jharkhand and Bihar at present is left with only 6.8 per cent as notified forest areas, Singh said, adding that along with tree cover the figure comes to 9.79 per cent of the total area of the state.
The official said the target is to raise this to 15 percent by 2015.
He said that the state government has thought of a scheme under which a unit of 20 saplings planted by the state government would be given to a BPL family to nurture them as part of rural employment programme of MNREGA.
"The BPL family would have sole right of fruits coming in these trees and also woods which they can either use for cooking of sell the logs," the official said.
The Principal Secretary of Forest department said as part of efforts to promote nurseries, the state government is giving five saplings free of cost to an individual and above this they can get them at a nominal rate of Rs 2 apiece.
The target is to distribute 20 lakh saplings of sesam, sagwan and jamun among others in 2012, he said, adding that the duration of the scheme which started on August one has been extended to August 15 from earlier date of August 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'