Bodhi tree whithering
Patna: The sapling of the revered Bodhi
tree brought from Sri Lanka and replanted at the Buddha Smriti
Park here by the Dalai Lama is showing signs of whithering.
"The sapling has started showing signs of withering
despite the attention of the state Horticulture department,"
Bihar Art, Culture and Youth Minister Ranu Devi said.
Special attention is still being paid to protect the
withering sapling, she said adding, "We will request the
Government of Sri Lanka for another Bodhi tree sapling for
re-plantation at the same park."
Experts who oversaw the sapling said they had noticed the
sapling shedding leaves and its stalk turning dry and brittle
despite watering and using fertiliser.
The sapling is an offshoot of the original Bodhi tree
planted in 288 BC at Anaradhapur in Sri Lanka, from where it
was brought and re-planted by the Dalai Lama in presence of
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar at the inauguration of the park on
It was under a Bodhi tree planted in Bodh Gaya that
Gautam Buddha is believed to have attained enlightenment about
2,500 years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP