Bodhi tree whithering
Patna: The sapling of the revered Bodhi
tree brought from Sri Lanka and replanted at the Buddha Smriti
Park here by the Dalai Lama is showing signs of whithering.
"The sapling has started showing signs of withering
despite the attention of the state Horticulture department,"
Bihar Art, Culture and Youth Minister Ranu Devi said.
Special attention is still being paid to protect the
withering sapling, she said adding, "We will request the
Government of Sri Lanka for another Bodhi tree sapling for
re-plantation at the same park."
Experts who oversaw the sapling said they had noticed the
sapling shedding leaves and its stalk turning dry and brittle
despite watering and using fertiliser.
The sapling is an offshoot of the original Bodhi tree
planted in 288 BC at Anaradhapur in Sri Lanka, from where it
was brought and re-planted by the Dalai Lama in presence of
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar at the inauguration of the park on
It was under a Bodhi tree planted in Bodh Gaya that
Gautam Buddha is believed to have attained enlightenment about
2,500 years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?