Bodies of all nine victims of boat tragedy found
Ara: The bodies of all nine victims, who had gone missing after a boat capsized in the Ganga in Bihar`s Bhojpur district, were fished out on Thursday.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams fished out the bodies from the river near Maujampur village, which is about eight kms away from the site of the tragedy, Sub-divisional officer Madhav Kumar Singh said.
The bodies have been identified. While three of them hailed from Sohara village, the rest six were from New Khawaspur village, he said.
Three of the girls were aged between 8 and 14 and five others between 17 and 19. The ninth victim was a 40 year-old woman.
Singh said the bodies were handed over to their families after autopsy and compensation will be given to them as per the law.
Singh said that the name of 13-year-old boy Om Prakash Bind, who rescued five persons onboard the ill-fated boat, will be recommended to the Centre by the district authorities for bravery award.
A boat carrying 26 people had capsized in the Ganga two days ago. While 17 of the passengers swam to safety, nine others had gone missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'