Boy lynched, another injured by villagers on theft charge
Purnia: A 14-year-old boy died and another was injured after they were mercilessly beaten up by a mob, led by a deputy sarpanch, which accused them of theft at Thari village in Bihar`s Purnia district on Sunday, police said.
Accusing the duo of stealing `gutkha` (tobacco) and a phone recharge coupon worth Rs 50 from a shop, villagers led by Thari panchayat deputy sarpanch Manoj Tiwari mercilessly beat up the two after hanging them upside down with a tree due to which Chotu Kumar (14) died while Pintu Kumar sustained injuries, Superintendent of Police (SP) Ajit Kumar Satyarthi said.
The body has been sent for post-mortem and the injured admitted to hospital, he said.
A named FIR has been lodged against eight persons all of whom are absconding, Satyarthi said, adding that raids were being carried out to nab them.
During preliminary probe, it has emerged that accused had imposed Rs 12,000 penalty on each of the families of the two victims, but they expressed helplessness to meet the demand citing poor financial condition, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed