Brown sugar worth Rs one crore seized, 5 smugglers held
Araria: Brown sugar worth Rs one crore in the international market was seized and five smugglers were held with firearms today at Rampur village on NH-57 in Bihar`s Araria district, a senior police officer said.
Acting on a tip off, the police intercepted a Bolero jeep and arrested five contraband smugglers with two pound brown sugar, the Superintendent of Police (SP) Shivdeep Lande said.
The seized contraband haul contained in a packet with a tag of `Made in Afghanistan` was worth Rs. One crore in the international market, the SP said.
Two pistols, five ammunitions and seven mobile phones were also seized from the contraband smugglers, Lande said.
The arrested smugglers have been identified as Vikas Kumar, Birbal, Izhar, Dularchand Pachhi and Ajay Kumar, he said, adding that they have been charged under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
There were seven smugglers travelling by the Bolero jeep from Jogbani to Purnia, but two of them managed to escape, he said, adding that raids were being carried out to nab the absconding persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days