Brown sugar worth Rs one crore seized, 5 smugglers held
Araria: Brown sugar worth Rs one crore in the international market was seized and five smugglers were held with firearms today at Rampur village on NH-57 in Bihar`s Araria district, a senior police officer said.
Acting on a tip off, the police intercepted a Bolero jeep and arrested five contraband smugglers with two pound brown sugar, the Superintendent of Police (SP) Shivdeep Lande said.
The seized contraband haul contained in a packet with a tag of `Made in Afghanistan` was worth Rs. One crore in the international market, the SP said.
Two pistols, five ammunitions and seven mobile phones were also seized from the contraband smugglers, Lande said.
The arrested smugglers have been identified as Vikas Kumar, Birbal, Izhar, Dularchand Pachhi and Ajay Kumar, he said, adding that they have been charged under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
There were seven smugglers travelling by the Bolero jeep from Jogbani to Purnia, but two of them managed to escape, he said, adding that raids were being carried out to nab the absconding persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune