Brown sugar worth Rs one crore seized, 5 smugglers held
Araria: Brown sugar worth Rs one crore in the international market was seized and five smugglers were held with firearms today at Rampur village on NH-57 in Bihar`s Araria district, a senior police officer said.
Acting on a tip off, the police intercepted a Bolero jeep and arrested five contraband smugglers with two pound brown sugar, the Superintendent of Police (SP) Shivdeep Lande said.
The seized contraband haul contained in a packet with a tag of `Made in Afghanistan` was worth Rs. One crore in the international market, the SP said.
Two pistols, five ammunitions and seven mobile phones were also seized from the contraband smugglers, Lande said.
The arrested smugglers have been identified as Vikas Kumar, Birbal, Izhar, Dularchand Pachhi and Ajay Kumar, he said, adding that they have been charged under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
There were seven smugglers travelling by the Bolero jeep from Jogbani to Purnia, but two of them managed to escape, he said, adding that raids were being carried out to nab the absconding persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!