Brown sugar worth Rs one crore seized, 5 smugglers held
Araria: Brown sugar worth Rs one crore in the international market was seized and five smugglers were held with firearms today at Rampur village on NH-57 in Bihar`s Araria district, a senior police officer said.
Acting on a tip off, the police intercepted a Bolero jeep and arrested five contraband smugglers with two pound brown sugar, the Superintendent of Police (SP) Shivdeep Lande said.
The seized contraband haul contained in a packet with a tag of `Made in Afghanistan` was worth Rs. One crore in the international market, the SP said.
Two pistols, five ammunitions and seven mobile phones were also seized from the contraband smugglers, Lande said.
The arrested smugglers have been identified as Vikas Kumar, Birbal, Izhar, Dularchand Pachhi and Ajay Kumar, he said, adding that they have been charged under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
There were seven smugglers travelling by the Bolero jeep from Jogbani to Purnia, but two of them managed to escape, he said, adding that raids were being carried out to nab the absconding persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report