Campaigning ends for 5th phase of Bihar polls
Patna: Campaigning ended today in 35 Assembly
constituencies in Bihar going to polls in the fifth and
penultimate phase of elections on November 9 under the shadow
of a poll boycott call by the Maoists.
Nearly half of the 35 constituencies spread over the
districts of Bhojpur, Patna, Nawada, Gaya, Jehanabad and
Nalanda have strong Maoist presence but no major incident was
reported during the campaign period.
Around 81.26 lakh voters, including 37.35 lakh female,
will be eligible to exercise their franchise at 9,143 polling
stations to decide the fate of 490 candidates, including 44
Among prominent candidates are state JD-U ministers Hari
Narain Singh (Harnaut), Jitan Ram Manjhi (Makhdumpur), Bhagwan
Singh Kushwaha (Jagdishpur) and BJP minister Prem Kumar (Gaya
Others include JD-U Chief whip in the state Assembly
Shravan Kumar (Nalanda), party MLAs Asha Devi (Barhara), Sunil
Kumar (Biharsharif), besides others Shyam Rajak (Phulwari),
Narendra Kumar Pandey (Tarari), senior BJP leaders Sayadeo
Narain Arya (Rajgir), and Amrendra Pratap Singh (Ara).
LJP`s Dularchand Yadav is contesting from Arwal.
Former RJD ministers Surendra Prasad Yadav (Belaganj),
Raghvendra Pratap Singh (Barhara), Suresh Paswan (Agiwan) and
Rajballabh Prasad (Nawada) are also in fray. While the ruling JD-U is contesting 22 seats, its
ally-BJP has put up candidates in the remaining 13. RJD is
contesting in 20 seats, while ally LJP candidates are in
fray in the remaining 15 seats.
Congress and BSP are contesting all the seats. CPI has
put up its candidates in seven seats, CPI-ML (Liberation) in
23 and CPI-M in two.
Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi was among the
star-campaigners for the party which also fielded its central
ministers S P Jaiswal, Mukul Wasnik, Subodh Kant Sahay, Salman
Khursheed and C P Joshi in a bid to drum up support for the
Nitish Kumar, seeking a second term as chief minister,
campaigned even on the Diwali day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital