Cash transfer good in principle but bad in form: Nitish
Patna: Describing the direct cash transfer scheme of the Centre as "good" in principle but "bad" in form as it excludes food and fertiliser, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday said he would take up the matter with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"The cash transfer scheme brought by the Centre is good in principle as Bihar has already successfully experimented this," Kumar told reporters here.
He, however, said the form in which the Centre had decided to launch it from January one next year was "bad".
He said the scheme which the UPA government was terming as "game-changer" did not include transfer of cash to beneficiaries of food and fertiliser subsidy.
Besides, he said, the scheme in the field of education had made a provision for purchase of uniform for school students from standard one to VIII under Sarv Siksha Abhiyan through a committee which could breed corruption.
"In Bihar my government is distributing cash directly to students for purchase of uniform as per dress code and it has been very successful," Kumar said.
"The state government is also distributing direct cash for cycle scheme for school students and purchase of uniform for policemen and no complaint of corruption has been reported from anywhere", he said.
The chief minister regretted that the Centre did not include any district from Bihar in the scheme although "the idea has been taken from the eastern state."
He avoided a direct reply to a question if selection of 51 districts from 15 states in the scheme initially was influenced by politics as majority states selected have either Congress government or that of UPA partners, but said the "success of the scheme would be judged in the perspective of similar successful effort in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter