CBI arrests Bihar MP Pappu Yadav from Gurgaon
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday arrested former RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav, sentenced to life for the murder of a CPM leader Ajit Sarkar 12 years back, from Gurgaon.
Yadav was arrested nearly two weeks after the Supreme Court directed the CBI and the Bihar police to immediately arrest former RJD MP.
On August 06, a bench of justices Markandey Katju and AK Patnaik expressed surprise that Yadav was not arrested even though his bail application was dismissed on May 3 by the apex court.
"We are surprised to note that despite the cancellation of his bail by this court, neither the accused has surrendered nor he has been taken into the custody.
"We have carefully gone through the review petition and the connected papers as also the application for exemption from surrendering. We do not find any merit therein and they are dismissed accordingly," the bench said in an order.
The apex court passed the order while dismissing Yadav`s review petition against the May 3, 2010 order cancelling his bail.
"The CBI and the Bihar Director General of Police are directed to execute the order of this court dated May 3, 2010 forthwith and send a compliance report to this court within four weeks from today," the bench said.
The Supreme Court, while quashing the bail of Yadav, had said that the Patna High Court`s decision enlarging him on bail amounted to contempt of the apex court which had restrained any court in the country from granting bail to him.
The CBI had on March 26 approached the apex court challenging the Patna High Court`s February 18, 2009 order granting bail to the 43-year-old politician.
Special CBI judge BM Srivastava had on February 14, 2008, pronounced Yadav, former independent MLA Rajan Tiwari and Anil Yadav guilty and awarded them jail terms for life.
Ajit Sarkar, a CPI-M MLA, who had a running feud with Yadav over issues relating to farm labourers, along with his driver Harendra Sharma and party worker Ashfaqur Rehman, were gunned down at Subhas Nagar in Purnea town on June 14, 1998.
Following a recommendation from the Bihar government, the case was taken up by the CBI which had chargesheeted Yadav, Rajan Tiwari, Anil Yadav, Harish Chaudhary and Amar Yadav on May 10, 1999 in the case.
The trial in the case began on August 2, 2002 and concluded on February 4, 2009. A total of 61 witnesses were presented by the prosecution 23 of whom turned hostile. 27 deposed for the defence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi