CBI should appeal against HC order acquitting Pappu Yadav: CPI-M
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Saturday demanded an expeditious appeal by the CBI against the Patna High Court order acquitting former RJD MP Pappu Yadav in the murder case of party leader Ajit Sarkar in 1998.
Terming the acquittal of Yadav and others as "travesty of justice", the party Politburo said the lower court had found "incontrovertible evidence of his guilt and he was serving a life sentence. On several occasions the Supreme Court had refused him bail.
"In the name of `giving the accused the benefit of doubt`, the High Court has acquitted him and ordered his release."
Sarkar, a former CPI(M) legislator, was shot dead by unidentified persons in Bihar`s Purnia district on June 14, 1998.
The CPI(M) demanded that the CBI "take this matter seriously" and expeditiously appeal against this verdict in the Supreme Court. "Justice should not be denied in this case", the party said.
Soon after the Patna High Court order yesterday, CPI(M) Politburo member Sitaram Yechury had said, "It is a regrettable decision. CBI must swiftly and effectively move the Supreme Court and appeal against it."
A division bench comprising justices V N Singh and K K Lal acquitted Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav and two others - Rajan Tiwari and Anil Kumar Yadav - of all charges in connection with Sarkar`s killing for want of evidence.
The court also directed the authorities to release Yadav from jail forthwith if he was not wanted in any other case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know