Central funds not at anybody`s `meherbani`: Nitish
Motihari (Bihar): Chief Minister Nitish
Kumar on Friday locked horns with Rahul Gandhi over central funds
to Bihar and dared the Congress leader to stop the allocation
to the state, saying the funds are not given at somebody`s
"Allocation of funds to the state by the Centre is in
keeping with settled norms and provisions...it is not at
somebody`s meharbani (favour)," Kumar told an election meeting
here while canvassing support for the NDA nominees.
As the campaign rhetoric ahead of the polls in the
state grew shrill, the JD(U) leader also dared the Congress
General Secretary to stop the funds being sent by the Centre
to Bihar. The first phase of the six-phase elections starts on
October 21 and ends on November 20.
Gandhi had during election meetings at Sikti, Korha
and Raghopur yesterday claimed that the Centre had provided
more funds for the development of the state "but it failed to
reach the deserving sections of society because of
"It is unfortunate that development has not taken
place in Bihar despite the funds provided by the UPA (United
Progressive Alliance) government to the tune of Rs 1 lakh
crore. It was double the amount given by the previous NDA
(National Democratic Alliance) government to the state - which
was Rs 50,000 crore only," he said.
Kumar, who held the Congress responsible for the ills
plaguing the states, charged that the Congress and RJD were
"hand-in-glove and separately contesting the polls only to
befool the people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets