Central team visits drought-hit Bihar
Patna: A central team Monday began a visit of drought-hit Bihar to assess the situation, an official said.
Bihar in September declared 33 of its 38 districts drought-hit on account of poor rains. The state was 25 percent deficit in its annual rainfall.
"The 12 member-team held a meeting with top officials of the state administration including Chief Secretary A.K. Sinha soon after they arrived in Patna on a two-day visit to Bihar," said an official of the state disaster management department.
"The team will split into three groups and visit nine worst drought-hit districts to assess the situation, including the quantum of crops lost, and submit a report to the union government."
"One group will visit Jamui, Sheikhpura and Lakhisarai districts, the second group will visit Nawada, Gaya and Aurangabad and the third group will visit Muzaffarpur, Madhubani and Darbhanga," the official added.
On the basis of the team`s report, the central government would provide relief from different ministries to millions of drought-hit farmers, the official said.
The drought has affected hundreds of thousands of people, particularly farmers, and forced the poorest of the poor to migrate for earning a livelihood.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has sought Rs.12,000 crore relief from the central government to deal with the situation. He also met and requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P. Chidambaram for help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks