Centre accused of partiality in implementing minority schemes
New Delhi: A meeting called to seek views from states on minority welfare on Thursday saw the NDA-ruled Bihar attacking the Centre for "partiality" in implementation of schemes and asking it to confine itself to their monitoring.
Bihar Minority Affairs Minister Shahid Ali Khan alleged that while the Centre rejected the state government`s proposal to construct Madrasas Bhavans in six of the seven minority concentrated districts (MCDs) of the state, it sanctioned the same in Kishanganj represented by a Congress MP.
Khan also said that the Centre should leave it to the states to decide on the schemes and keep itself confined to only monitoring their implementation.
"State governments should be given freedom to decide their schemes. But you sanction schemes for the state sitting here," he complained.
Khan claimed that Bihar has not got any money from the National Minority Development and Finance Corporation as the Centre was seeking a guarantee.
"There was an agreement between us that the interest for loans by NMDFC will be waived. Two years have passed but nothing happened," he said.
He also said that the financial assistance under the pre-matric scholarship scheme should be given in cash and not through cheques as there are difficulties in opening bank accounts.
He demanded "maximum possible" recruitments of minorities in police jobs and that such provisions advocated in the Prime Minsiter`s 15-point programme be made mandatory.
A number of representatives from the states demanded that the criteria of 25 per cent minority population for delcaring a district minority concentrated should be brought down to 15 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi