Centre rejects demand for special status to Bihar
New Delhi: The Centre Friday rejected the
demand for a special status to Bihar but said it would do everything possible for the development of the state.
"We have been approving projects proposed by the Bihar
government and will try to promote development of the state to
the extent possible," Minister of State for Planning Ashwani
Kumar said during a discussion on a Private Member`s
Resolution on granting special status to the state.
The resolution, moved by Bhola Singh (BJP), was withdrawn following an assurance by the Minister.
Pointing out that parameters for granting special status
are set by the National Development Council (NDC), Kumar said
the status was not a pre-requisite for growth.
"What is important is better implementation of centrally
sponsored schemes and expeditious development of the state,"
Earlier, members cutting across party lines, asked the
government to grant special status to Bihar to help it achieve
high growth rate.
The government had granted special status to 11 states
which include hill states of Meghalaya, Manipur and Himachal
Pradesh. Special status entitles states to receive more
central assistance and tax concessions.
The members who participated in the discussion include
Sanjay Nirupam (Cong), Arjun Meghwal (BJP), Umashanker Singh
(RJD), S Semmalai (AIADMK), Jagdambika Pal (Cong), Putul
Kumari (Ind), Hukmadeo Narayan Yadav (BJP), Kaushalendra Kumar
(JD-U) and Monazir Hassan (JD-U).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’