Centre rejects demand for special status to Bihar
New Delhi: The Centre Friday rejected the
demand for a special status to Bihar but said it would do everything possible for the development of the state.
"We have been approving projects proposed by the Bihar
government and will try to promote development of the state to
the extent possible," Minister of State for Planning Ashwani
Kumar said during a discussion on a Private Member`s
Resolution on granting special status to the state.
The resolution, moved by Bhola Singh (BJP), was withdrawn following an assurance by the Minister.
Pointing out that parameters for granting special status
are set by the National Development Council (NDC), Kumar said
the status was not a pre-requisite for growth.
"What is important is better implementation of centrally
sponsored schemes and expeditious development of the state,"
Earlier, members cutting across party lines, asked the
government to grant special status to Bihar to help it achieve
high growth rate.
The government had granted special status to 11 states
which include hill states of Meghalaya, Manipur and Himachal
Pradesh. Special status entitles states to receive more
central assistance and tax concessions.
The members who participated in the discussion include
Sanjay Nirupam (Cong), Arjun Meghwal (BJP), Umashanker Singh
(RJD), S Semmalai (AIADMK), Jagdambika Pal (Cong), Putul
Kumari (Ind), Hukmadeo Narayan Yadav (BJP), Kaushalendra Kumar
(JD-U) and Monazir Hassan (JD-U).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested