Centre rejects demand for special status to Bihar
New Delhi: The Centre Friday rejected the
demand for a special status to Bihar but said it would do everything possible for the development of the state.
"We have been approving projects proposed by the Bihar
government and will try to promote development of the state to
the extent possible," Minister of State for Planning Ashwani
Kumar said during a discussion on a Private Member`s
Resolution on granting special status to the state.
The resolution, moved by Bhola Singh (BJP), was withdrawn following an assurance by the Minister.
Pointing out that parameters for granting special status
are set by the National Development Council (NDC), Kumar said
the status was not a pre-requisite for growth.
"What is important is better implementation of centrally
sponsored schemes and expeditious development of the state,"
Earlier, members cutting across party lines, asked the
government to grant special status to Bihar to help it achieve
high growth rate.
The government had granted special status to 11 states
which include hill states of Meghalaya, Manipur and Himachal
Pradesh. Special status entitles states to receive more
central assistance and tax concessions.
The members who participated in the discussion include
Sanjay Nirupam (Cong), Arjun Meghwal (BJP), Umashanker Singh
(RJD), S Semmalai (AIADMK), Jagdambika Pal (Cong), Putul
Kumari (Ind), Hukmadeo Narayan Yadav (BJP), Kaushalendra Kumar
(JD-U) and Monazir Hassan (JD-U).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in