Chargesheet filed in mid-day meal tragedy in Bihar
Chapra: Three months after 23 children died after eating contaminated meals, a chargesheet has been filed against the suspended principal and her husband in the mid-day meal tragedy in a primary school at Dharmasati Gandaman village of Saran district.
The charge sheet was filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Anil Kumar Jha two days ago charging the principal Meena Devi and her husband Arjun Rai under section 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) of IPC for causing death of 23 students and illness of 30 others due to consumption of poisoned mid-day meal, Superintendent of Police Varun Kumar Sinha said.
Sinha said that he had written a letter to the Public Prosecutor Ajit Kumar Singh requesting him to impress upon the court to conduct a speedy trial in the case.
Sinha said that the 346-page chargesheet had been filed within the stipulated 90 days after the arrest of the suspended school principal, but a supplementary charge sheet would be filed in due course of time as the probe was still on.
As many as 23 students, all minors, had died after consuming poisonous mid-day meal in the school and several others were taken ill and brought to the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) on July 16 last.
Apprehending arrest, Devi and her husband had gone underground, but the former was arrested a week after the incident that had shocked the country.
Her husband surrendered before a court last month.
Both the accused persons are presently lodged in a jail in Chapra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH