Chhath celebrated with traditional fervour
Patna: `Chhath` was celebrated with lakhs of
devotees thronging ghats of several rivers and ponds besides
rooftops and other places to offer prayers and offerings to
the rising Sun for the welfare of their near and dear ones
across Bihar on Wednesday.
The sunrise this morning was greeted with the burst of
crackers as scores of devotees offered prayers standing in
waist-deep water of rivers and ponds in several areas.
After offering `Arghyas`, the devotees exchanged
greetings with one another after nearly 36-hour-long fast and
had prasad like `thekua`, sweets and fruits.
For the four-day festival, which began on October 30,
all ghats where devotees offered prayers to the Sun were
spruced up with lighting arrangements.
The state capital was decked up for the festival with
decorated pandals installing idols of the `Sun God` on his
seven-horse chariot in different areas.
The festival was by and large peaceful, Director General
of Police Abhayanand said.
Greeting people of the state on the occasion, Chief
Minister Nitish Kumar said "Chhath festival has given Bihar
and Biharis a distinct identity and now it is celebrated not
only in Delhi and Mumbai but also in London. May God bestow
happiness, peace and prosperity on the people of Bihar
wherever they are".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- China unveils world's largest amphibious aircraft
- WATCH: SPINE-CHILLING! Goldberg makes WWE debut, spears The Rock!
- Sharad Pawar's MCA accepts SC verdict in toto, to rewrite constitution
- Ayushmann Khurrana rocks Seattle with his moonwalk, singing! Watch video
- GST bill will continue to rule market sentiments