Chhath festival begins in Bihar
Patna: Lakhs of devotees on Thursday took a holy dip in rivers and prayed to Sun god marking the beginning of the `Chhath festival`, the most popular festival in Bihar.
The devotees with their family members thronged nearby rivers and ponds early this morning and took bath for offering prayers to the rising sun.
They later returned home, cleaned up houses and utensils and cooked vegetarian meal while singing traditional songs for the `Nahai Khai (bath and eat).
During the four-day festival, several devotes would fast
and would not drink a drop of water for 36 hours.
In Patna, thousands of devotees, male and female,
assembled on the bank of river Ganges and took a holy dip.
Most of the ghats across the state have been cleaned and
spruced up with decoration of lights, official sources said,
adding all roads leading to the ghats to be visited by
devotees on Saturday evening and Sunday morning have been
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has directed the authorities
to make full-proof arrangements for security and safety of the
devotees in their respective areas.
They have been asked to keep close watch on the situation and crowds which assembled at ghats where rivers have swift
current and deep beds, the sources said.
Special arrangements have been made for Patna where
helicopters would fly over the ghats to closely monitor the
crowds on the bank of river Ganga and launch rescue in the
event of any disaster, sources said.
"There are 52 ghats in some areas along Ganga in the
state capital which have been declared dangerous," they said.
Several ponds have been dug by the administration to
regulate the rush of devotees due to strong current seen in
river Ganga, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor