Chhath observed in Bihar
Patna: A sea of humanity today thronged
banks of rivers, canals and ponds in Bihar and offered
`arghyas` to the setting sun on the third day of the four-day
Devotees fasted without drinking water and prepared
puja offerings -- thekua, coconut, banana and seasonal fruits
in bamboo trays.
This was followed by `kosi` celebrated in the
courtyard of the house after evening offerings.
Lighted earthen lamps flickered beneath five sugarcane
sticks or 24 sticks, as per local custom, with pujas held
seeking blessings for the family.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and his deputy Sushil
Kumar Modi surveyed ghats in Patna and greeted devotees.
Some close relatives of Kumar also performed Chhath
Boats of the National Disaster Response Force, divers,
medical teams and ambulances were present near ghats to tackle
"The celebrations were peaceful amid tight security
arrangements," Director General of Police Abhyanand said.
Reports from Bhagalpur, Buxar, Aurangabad and Gaya,
besides high security Beur jail, said hundreds of prisoners
fasted for the entire day and offered arghas to the setting
sun in ponds dug inside prisons.
Jail authorities made full arrangements for the pooja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’