Chhath observed in Bihar
Patna: A sea of humanity today thronged
banks of rivers, canals and ponds in Bihar and offered
`arghyas` to the setting sun on the third day of the four-day
Devotees fasted without drinking water and prepared
puja offerings -- thekua, coconut, banana and seasonal fruits
in bamboo trays.
This was followed by `kosi` celebrated in the
courtyard of the house after evening offerings.
Lighted earthen lamps flickered beneath five sugarcane
sticks or 24 sticks, as per local custom, with pujas held
seeking blessings for the family.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and his deputy Sushil
Kumar Modi surveyed ghats in Patna and greeted devotees.
Some close relatives of Kumar also performed Chhath
Boats of the National Disaster Response Force, divers,
medical teams and ambulances were present near ghats to tackle
"The celebrations were peaceful amid tight security
arrangements," Director General of Police Abhyanand said.
Reports from Bhagalpur, Buxar, Aurangabad and Gaya,
besides high security Beur jail, said hundreds of prisoners
fasted for the entire day and offered arghas to the setting
sun in ponds dug inside prisons.
Jail authorities made full arrangements for the pooja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi