Chidambaram words re-kindled hope of spl status for Bihar: Nitish
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Saturday welcomed Union Finance minister P Chidambaram`s views that Bihar cannot lag behind.
"This has kindled hope for Bihar to win special category state status for a backward state," Kumar said at a function here.
He welcomed Chidambaram`s views in Parliament in reply to a question of JD(U) MP N K Singh that a backward state like Bihar can not be left behind to fend for itself... There is a need to change the laid down criterion for according special status which will be looked into by the government as well Planning Commission.
"The Finance minister has used the same wordage as we had done while making our plea to him...After days of struggle and campaign the Centre has accepted the demand in principle," he said.
"We can see a ray of hope (that Bihar will get its due by winning special status)," he added.
The CM, however, said he would continue to agitate till Bihar gets the status which was needed to spur its future growth.
The ruling JD(U) had organised "Adhikar rally" on November 4 last in support of its demand for special status.
Subsequently, the CM wrote a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh making a strong case in support of the demand. He had handed over the letter to the PM during a meeting with him recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez