Chidambaram words re-kindled hope of spl status for Bihar: Nitish
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Saturday welcomed Union Finance minister P Chidambaram`s views that Bihar cannot lag behind.
"This has kindled hope for Bihar to win special category state status for a backward state," Kumar said at a function here.
He welcomed Chidambaram`s views in Parliament in reply to a question of JD(U) MP N K Singh that a backward state like Bihar can not be left behind to fend for itself... There is a need to change the laid down criterion for according special status which will be looked into by the government as well Planning Commission.
"The Finance minister has used the same wordage as we had done while making our plea to him...After days of struggle and campaign the Centre has accepted the demand in principle," he said.
"We can see a ray of hope (that Bihar will get its due by winning special status)," he added.
The CM, however, said he would continue to agitate till Bihar gets the status which was needed to spur its future growth.
The ruling JD(U) had organised "Adhikar rally" on November 4 last in support of its demand for special status.
Subsequently, the CM wrote a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh making a strong case in support of the demand. He had handed over the letter to the PM during a meeting with him recently.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion