Children`s deaths: Bihar families yet to get compensation
Patna: Families of hundreds of children who died of acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Bihar are yet to be paid compensation announced by the state government last month, an official said Monday.
Nearly 20 days after the state announced compensation of Rs.50,000 each from the Chief Minister`s relief fund to families of children who died of AES, the health department has not finalised payment so far, the official said.
He told a news agency on condition of anonymity that the compensation issue was yet to move beyond the files.
"Going by the slow pace of government procedure, it is not easy for them (victims` families) to get compensation," he said.
According to him, there is no serious effort to speed up the paperwork for disbursing compensation.
"The department officials are working to pay a monetary compensation to the kin of children who died of AES, but it will take some more time," state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey told a news agency.
Gyan Bhushan, the civil surgeon of Muzaffarpur district, the worst affected by AES, said that till date he has not received any circular or information from the concerned department about payment of compensation.
Officials in the Chief Minister`s Office said that the decision on compensation was taken by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar because most victims belonged to the poorest of poor sections.
AES has claimed the lives of 238 children till date, and nearly 600 others have been affected by it.
The disease is not Japanese encephalitis, it was revealed by the Pune-based National Institute of Virology (NIV) last week.
The NIV has informed the Bihar government that no one had tested positive for Japanese encephalitis. The NIV collected cerebral spinal fluid and blood samples of 73 patients from Muzaffarpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly