Cold wave condition intensifies in Bihar
Patna: The cold wave condition intensified in Bihar on Monday with the minimum temperature plummeting sharply by 9-10 degrees Celsius from normal, throwing normal life out of gear in many places of the state.
A dense fog enveloped the state, disrupting air and rail services during the day. No planes could land or take off from Jai Prakash Narayan International Airport here till 3 pm due to the poor visibility which also forced several trains to run behind schedule by several hours, official sources said.
The cold caused railway tracks to crack at one place each in Munger and Bhojpur districts and briefly disrupted movement of trains, the sources said.
Patna Meteorological Department Director A K Sen said the minimum temperature has dipped by 9-10 degree Celsius from normal over the past couple of days intensifying the cold wave condition in Bihar.
Chilly westerly winds are sweeping through the state after changing direction from Uttar Pradesh, while the atmosphere is covered with vapour upto 1.5 to 3 kms.
As a result, there will be little or no sunshine over the next few days and the cold wave condition will persist for the next four-five days, he said.
Jehanabad district remained the coldest place in Bihar with minimum temperature recording at 2.8 degree Celsius, while Patna recorded a minimum of 6.1 degree Celsius, Met office sources said.
The minimum temperature at Chapra, Supaul, Buxar and Nawada stood at 4.2, 4.4, 4.2 and 4.5 degree Celsius respectively, the sources added.
Patna district magistrate Sanjay Kumar has ordered closure of all public and private schools in the district till January 9 in view of the cold weather condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi