Cold wave condition intensifies in Bihar
Patna: The cold wave condition intensified in Bihar on Monday with the minimum temperature plummeting sharply by 9-10 degrees Celsius from normal, throwing normal life out of gear in many places of the state.
A dense fog enveloped the state, disrupting air and rail services during the day. No planes could land or take off from Jai Prakash Narayan International Airport here till 3 pm due to the poor visibility which also forced several trains to run behind schedule by several hours, official sources said.
The cold caused railway tracks to crack at one place each in Munger and Bhojpur districts and briefly disrupted movement of trains, the sources said.
Patna Meteorological Department Director A K Sen said the minimum temperature has dipped by 9-10 degree Celsius from normal over the past couple of days intensifying the cold wave condition in Bihar.
Chilly westerly winds are sweeping through the state after changing direction from Uttar Pradesh, while the atmosphere is covered with vapour upto 1.5 to 3 kms.
As a result, there will be little or no sunshine over the next few days and the cold wave condition will persist for the next four-five days, he said.
Jehanabad district remained the coldest place in Bihar with minimum temperature recording at 2.8 degree Celsius, while Patna recorded a minimum of 6.1 degree Celsius, Met office sources said.
The minimum temperature at Chapra, Supaul, Buxar and Nawada stood at 4.2, 4.4, 4.2 and 4.5 degree Celsius respectively, the sources added.
Patna district magistrate Sanjay Kumar has ordered closure of all public and private schools in the district till January 9 in view of the cold weather condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan