Cold wave condition intensifies in Bihar
Patna: The cold wave condition intensified in Bihar on Monday with the minimum temperature plummeting sharply by 9-10 degrees Celsius from normal, throwing normal life out of gear in many places of the state.
A dense fog enveloped the state, disrupting air and rail services during the day. No planes could land or take off from Jai Prakash Narayan International Airport here till 3 pm due to the poor visibility which also forced several trains to run behind schedule by several hours, official sources said.
The cold caused railway tracks to crack at one place each in Munger and Bhojpur districts and briefly disrupted movement of trains, the sources said.
Patna Meteorological Department Director A K Sen said the minimum temperature has dipped by 9-10 degree Celsius from normal over the past couple of days intensifying the cold wave condition in Bihar.
Chilly westerly winds are sweeping through the state after changing direction from Uttar Pradesh, while the atmosphere is covered with vapour upto 1.5 to 3 kms.
As a result, there will be little or no sunshine over the next few days and the cold wave condition will persist for the next four-five days, he said.
Jehanabad district remained the coldest place in Bihar with minimum temperature recording at 2.8 degree Celsius, while Patna recorded a minimum of 6.1 degree Celsius, Met office sources said.
The minimum temperature at Chapra, Supaul, Buxar and Nawada stood at 4.2, 4.4, 4.2 and 4.5 degree Celsius respectively, the sources added.
Patna district magistrate Sanjay Kumar has ordered closure of all public and private schools in the district till January 9 in view of the cold weather condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday