Comm seeks report on mothers selling off children
Patna: Acting on media reports, Bihar Human Rights Commission today sought reports from Araria and Nawada district administration about poor mothers selling off their children.
SHRC chairman Justice S N Jha said two incidents were recently reported in the media about the alleged sale of kids by their mothers due to poverty.
Jha said in his note that on July 15 last there was a news item, “Woman sells 4-month old for Rs 62.50, about a mother selling off her four-month old son to a Nepali couple for Rs 100 in Nepali currency (equivalent to Rs 62.50 in Indian currency)".
Although as per the subsequent follow-up report, the woman stated that she had gifted the child, "prima facie it seems to be an afterthought and made under duress or something of the like", Jha observed in his note.
"It is unbelievable that a destitute mother living in a railway station would gift her four-month old son to strangers", the note said.
On July 19 last, another newspaper carried a news item captioned Woman’s bid to sell daughters thwarted about an attempt by a mother to sell two of her four minor daughters because the family had not had food for four days.
"These incidents, if true, would be reflective of failure of the administration to take care of the basic needs such as food and shelter to persons in the lowest strata of the society, and involving human rights issues and it seems appropriate to take suo motu cognizance of the same", he said.
The reports should be submitted within two weeks, he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?