Communal harmony must for development: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday asked people to maintain communal harmony as he hoisted the national flag amid tight security here.
"I appeal to people to maintain communal harmony as it is a must for development and peace," he said at an official function to mark India`s Independence Day.
Nitish Kumar expressed serious concern over incidents of communal clashes in Nawada district where curfew was imposed four days ago.
He reiterated his demand for special category status to Bihar.
"I appeal to the central government from this platform to grant special category status to Bihar for its fast development and high growth."
The Janata Dal-United leader, who has dumped the BJP after 17 long years, said the Bihar model of development was inclusive.
"(Our) model of development is development with justice to all without any discrimination."
Nitish Kumar said his government had taken several steps to control corruption.
"We have confiscated houses of corrupt officials and turned them into schools for the poorest of the poor."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`