Communal harmony must for development: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday asked people to maintain communal harmony as he hoisted the national flag amid tight security here.
"I appeal to people to maintain communal harmony as it is a must for development and peace," he said at an official function to mark India`s Independence Day.
Nitish Kumar expressed serious concern over incidents of communal clashes in Nawada district where curfew was imposed four days ago.
He reiterated his demand for special category status to Bihar.
"I appeal to the central government from this platform to grant special category status to Bihar for its fast development and high growth."
The Janata Dal-United leader, who has dumped the BJP after 17 long years, said the Bihar model of development was inclusive.
"(Our) model of development is development with justice to all without any discrimination."
Nitish Kumar said his government had taken several steps to control corruption.
"We have confiscated houses of corrupt officials and turned them into schools for the poorest of the poor."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof