Communal harmony must for development: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday asked people to maintain communal harmony as he hoisted the national flag amid tight security here.
"I appeal to people to maintain communal harmony as it is a must for development and peace," he said at an official function to mark India`s Independence Day.
Nitish Kumar expressed serious concern over incidents of communal clashes in Nawada district where curfew was imposed four days ago.
He reiterated his demand for special category status to Bihar.
"I appeal to the central government from this platform to grant special category status to Bihar for its fast development and high growth."
The Janata Dal-United leader, who has dumped the BJP after 17 long years, said the Bihar model of development was inclusive.
"(Our) model of development is development with justice to all without any discrimination."
Nitish Kumar said his government had taken several steps to control corruption.
"We have confiscated houses of corrupt officials and turned them into schools for the poorest of the poor."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city