`Compensate youth whose hands were chopped off`
Patna: Bihar government has been directed to pay compensation to a 22-old whose hands were chopped off after he failed to repay a loan of Rs.300, an official said on Sunday.
"The government should pay him a compensation immediately and the commission will inquire into the episode of how his hands were chopped off," said Rajendra Prasad, a member of the Bihar State Human Rights Commission.
Prasad added that it was a clear case of human rights violation and an inhuman act.
Twenty-year-old Ram Sagar Chandravanshi belongs to an extreme backward caste.
He owed a Rs.300 debt to a powerful man in Kodra village in Bihar`s Arwal district, 70 km from Patna.
"When I expressed my inability to repay the debt and requested them to give me some more time, they ordered me to work for a couple of contractors in lieu of the Rs.300 that I owed. But when I refused, it angered them so much that they first beat me badly and then started hitting my hands with an axe, chopping them off 10 days ago," he said.
"I fell unconscious and they threw me in a field," he added. His family admitted him to the hospital.
Two days ago, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered a probe into the gruesome incident after the issue was raised in the state assembly by the opposition.
The chief minister had pledged that the killers won`t be spared. "I have asked police headquarters to inquire into it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- Five held for 'slaughtering' three cows in Maharashtra
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- Who are you? Watch dog's reaction seeing himself on mirror – Very Funny