`Compensate youth whose hands were chopped off`
Patna: Bihar government has been directed to pay compensation to a 22-old whose hands were chopped off after he failed to repay a loan of Rs.300, an official said on Sunday.
"The government should pay him a compensation immediately and the commission will inquire into the episode of how his hands were chopped off," said Rajendra Prasad, a member of the Bihar State Human Rights Commission.
Prasad added that it was a clear case of human rights violation and an inhuman act.
Twenty-year-old Ram Sagar Chandravanshi belongs to an extreme backward caste.
He owed a Rs.300 debt to a powerful man in Kodra village in Bihar`s Arwal district, 70 km from Patna.
"When I expressed my inability to repay the debt and requested them to give me some more time, they ordered me to work for a couple of contractors in lieu of the Rs.300 that I owed. But when I refused, it angered them so much that they first beat me badly and then started hitting my hands with an axe, chopping them off 10 days ago," he said.
"I fell unconscious and they threw me in a field," he added. His family admitted him to the hospital.
Two days ago, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered a probe into the gruesome incident after the issue was raised in the state assembly by the opposition.
The chief minister had pledged that the killers won`t be spared. "I have asked police headquarters to inquire into it," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!