`Compensate youth whose hands were chopped off`
Patna: Bihar government has been directed to pay compensation to a 22-old whose hands were chopped off after he failed to repay a loan of Rs.300, an official said on Sunday.
"The government should pay him a compensation immediately and the commission will inquire into the episode of how his hands were chopped off," said Rajendra Prasad, a member of the Bihar State Human Rights Commission.
Prasad added that it was a clear case of human rights violation and an inhuman act.
Twenty-year-old Ram Sagar Chandravanshi belongs to an extreme backward caste.
He owed a Rs.300 debt to a powerful man in Kodra village in Bihar`s Arwal district, 70 km from Patna.
"When I expressed my inability to repay the debt and requested them to give me some more time, they ordered me to work for a couple of contractors in lieu of the Rs.300 that I owed. But when I refused, it angered them so much that they first beat me badly and then started hitting my hands with an axe, chopping them off 10 days ago," he said.
"I fell unconscious and they threw me in a field," he added. His family admitted him to the hospital.
Two days ago, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered a probe into the gruesome incident after the issue was raised in the state assembly by the opposition.
The chief minister had pledged that the killers won`t be spared. "I have asked police headquarters to inquire into it," he said.
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Will free jailed Pakistan doctor who tracked Osama bin Laden: Donald Trump
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures