`Compensate youth whose hands were chopped off`
Patna: Bihar government has been directed to pay compensation to a 22-old whose hands were chopped off after he failed to repay a loan of Rs.300, an official said on Sunday.
"The government should pay him a compensation immediately and the commission will inquire into the episode of how his hands were chopped off," said Rajendra Prasad, a member of the Bihar State Human Rights Commission.
Prasad added that it was a clear case of human rights violation and an inhuman act.
Twenty-year-old Ram Sagar Chandravanshi belongs to an extreme backward caste.
He owed a Rs.300 debt to a powerful man in Kodra village in Bihar`s Arwal district, 70 km from Patna.
"When I expressed my inability to repay the debt and requested them to give me some more time, they ordered me to work for a couple of contractors in lieu of the Rs.300 that I owed. But when I refused, it angered them so much that they first beat me badly and then started hitting my hands with an axe, chopping them off 10 days ago," he said.
"I fell unconscious and they threw me in a field," he added. His family admitted him to the hospital.
Two days ago, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered a probe into the gruesome incident after the issue was raised in the state assembly by the opposition.
The chief minister had pledged that the killers won`t be spared. "I have asked police headquarters to inquire into it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre