`Compensate youth whose hands were chopped off`
Patna: Bihar government has been directed to pay compensation to a 22-old whose hands were chopped off after he failed to repay a loan of Rs.300, an official said on Sunday.
"The government should pay him a compensation immediately and the commission will inquire into the episode of how his hands were chopped off," said Rajendra Prasad, a member of the Bihar State Human Rights Commission.
Prasad added that it was a clear case of human rights violation and an inhuman act.
Twenty-year-old Ram Sagar Chandravanshi belongs to an extreme backward caste.
He owed a Rs.300 debt to a powerful man in Kodra village in Bihar`s Arwal district, 70 km from Patna.
"When I expressed my inability to repay the debt and requested them to give me some more time, they ordered me to work for a couple of contractors in lieu of the Rs.300 that I owed. But when I refused, it angered them so much that they first beat me badly and then started hitting my hands with an axe, chopping them off 10 days ago," he said.
"I fell unconscious and they threw me in a field," he added. His family admitted him to the hospital.
Two days ago, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered a probe into the gruesome incident after the issue was raised in the state assembly by the opposition.
The chief minister had pledged that the killers won`t be spared. "I have asked police headquarters to inquire into it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful