Cong jolt to Lalu by fielding Jitendra Swami at Maharajganj
Patna: Giving a jolt to Lalu Prasad, the Congress in Bihar Monday decided to field Jitendra Swami, son of a deceased RJD MP, in the Maharajganj Lok Sabha by-polls scheduled for June 2.
"Swami, son of deceased RJD MP Umashankar Singh, will be Congress candidate in Maharajganj Parliamentary by-elections," state Congress media in-charge Prem Chand Mishra said.
"Swami will file his nominations at Chapra tomorrow in the presence of PCC President Ashok Chaudhary," Mishra said.
He said the decision to contest Maharajganj by-elections and field Swami was taken at a meeting of PCC President Ashok Chaudhary with party president Sonia Gandhi in Delhi today.
With Congress deciding to field Swami, the Maharajganj seat is expected to see a triangular fight between JD(U), RJD and Congress.
While JD(U) has given ticket to state education minister P K Shahi in the by-elections, Lalu Prasad`s party has field ex-JD(U) MP Prabhunath Singh on the seat.
Singh, who had lost last Parliamentary polls to RJD Umashankar Singh, fell out with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and later joined RJD.
Singh is expected to file nominations tomorrow in presence of Lalu Prasad.
Mishra said Swami and his father Umashankar Singh, whose death has necessitated by-polls, had worked for Congress in the last general elections despite being in RJD.
Maharajganj constituency in Saran district of Bihar is scheduled to go to by-polls on June 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley