Congress leader Mahavir Chaudhary passes away
Patna: Veteran Congress leader and former minister Mahavir Chaudhary passed away at a private hospital here after prolonged illness.
He was 90.
Chaudhary is survived by his wife and five sons, said his son and Bihar Congress President Ashok Chaudhary.
Chaudhary represented four assembly constituencies - Rajauli, Jehanabad (SC), Makhdumpur and Barbigha - for eight terms in an illustrious career spanning four decades and also served as minister in Congress governments in Bihar.
He was first elected to the legislative assembly from Rajauli seat in 1961.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar expressed profound grief at the death and said that it caused a huge void in public life.
The departed Congress leader was a tall public figure who toiled for the uplift and welfare of all sections of the society throughout his life, Kumar said in a condolence message.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report